Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Question #6 Response


In today's age of technology, I think it is very important for teachers to integrate technology into the K-12 classrooms. In the younger grades, teachers need to provide students with opportunity to explore different types of technology in an age appropriate manner. As the students continue through school and are able to navigate more independently, the teacher can provide appropriate websites and teach students tools to be successful on the internet. The more tools and skills students have been taught when using technology, will make it possible for the teachers to further differentiate their instruction. By presenting technology as an option for projects or academics, the students will be encouraged by the teacher to use technology and to challenge themselves to do better and take technology further.

Technology can also provide a different type of medium for students to show their strengths in many areas of the curriculum. An few examples on how to utilize technology would be in the art and media departments. Digital art is becoming more popular and students would be able to show their talents for spacial recognition and creativity through the use of current art programs. If video or cinematography is an interest or talent, students can take advantage of the many websites and apps available to assist in making, editing, and publishing videos. Music lovers would also be able to take advantage of the websites and apps available online. Students who enjoy or excel in science could use technology to research their topics further, as well as to create means of presenting their information through technology. In all of these instances, the students would be using their prior knowledge and fundamental skills to take their learning further with the use of technology.

Technology can also be a great tool in assisting students in making connections and creating relationships. I believe that the teacher is still a key component to students having healthy and appropriate face to face interactions, but when used in conjunction with technology, the relationships the students make can span many miles, oceans, and even languages.

I do not think technology can completely overtake the classroom and eliminate the teacher or the teaching of fundamental skills, but with the proper integration into the curriculum, technology is a great tool for teachers and students. I do believe that there is a line between what is the appropriate amount on technology and what I would consider to be "overboard". There is no need to overwhelm the students with technology or provide an amount that is insufficient, but rather to find the amount of technology that will really push the students to higher level thinking and engagement in the classroom. The relationship between technology and the more traditional forms of teaching has to be a collaborative one for the teacher to successfully introduce and teach it, as well as for the students to be successful in it.

1 comment:

  1. Kellie, nice job! I agree that teachers need to teach students the tools needed to use the internet. Once the students have the skills, the teacher can incorporate more technology and differentiate the learning in that way.

    I love the idea about using technology in the arts and media departments. There are so many creative things that kids can do on the internet today. You may ignite a passion for a student by letting them explore some creative ways to use the internet. A quick 30 second video on Animoto would be something I think a lot of the kids would enjoy creating! The video could be like a book report or an introduction to a topic they are exploring, the possibilities are endless!

    I love the idea where you said technology can create relationships that span the ocean. I spoke about that too in my article. With Skype, Youtube and blogging you can really connect with people from all over the world. Lastly, I agree that there has to be a balance and that when integrated properly, technology can be a great tool in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete